Research Awards, Grants, Fellowships and Scholarships
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Grant, UC Merced: “AfroTerrace Learning and Living Center; Retention and Support for Black Students.” ($5,000).
Hellman Faculty Fellows Fund Award, UC Merced: “The Phenomenology of Coloured South Africans” ($20,000).
- Academic Senate Faculty Grant, UC Merced: “The Phenomenology of Coloured South Africans” ($5000)
- Emerging Diversity Scholar, National Center for Institutional Diversity, University of Michigan.
- Best Graduate Student Paper 1st place, Society for the Study of Social Problems, Division on Race and Ethnic Minorities: “Racial Hierarchy and Racial Limbo: The Relative Deprivation of Coloured South Africans.”
- Best Graduate Student Paper 2nd place, Vanderbilt University, Sociology: “Racial Hierarchy and Racial Limbo: Generalized Attitudes and Perceived Relative Deprivation of Coloureds in Contemporary South Africa.”
- Ford Foundation Dissertation Fellowship (declined for faculty position).
- Robert Penn Warren Dissertation Fellowship, Vanderbilt University. ($24000)
- Stanford M. Lyman Memorial Scholarship, Mid-South Sociological Association. ($1000)
- Best Graduate Student Paper 1st place, Vanderbilt University, Sociology: “Performing Race on the ‘World White Web’” (with Heather H. Kettrey).
- International Travel Award, Vanderbilt University. ($1000)
- Summer Research Award, Vanderbilt University, Sociology: “The Implications of Racial Inconsistency.”($2000)
- Ford Foundation Pre-Doctoral Fellowship – Honorable Mention
- Marion T. Loftin Fellowship, Vanderbilt University. ($3000 for each year of graduate training)
- Fulbright Scholarship, Fulbright Foundation with Michigan State University. ($8000)
- Padnos International Center, Grand Valley State University. ($1000)
- Bert Price Diversity Scholarship, Grand Valley State University. (full tuition, 4 years)